Silence Bridge is a scene that depicts the exciting start of a battle setting the duo of Red and Pikachu against a Snorlax who was just woken with a Poké Flute. It’s composition and background are closely based on Yoshitoshi Tsukioka’s masterpiece Gojo Bridge, an Episode from the life of Yoshitsune, and it is an homage to the famous battle between two 12th century samurai, Ushikawa and Benkei. A complete original and delightful re-invention of classic Japanese scene, updated and made new with a Pokémon twist!
Using all the traditional printing arts of ukiyo-e, this woodblock print on traditional handmade paper is limited to an edition of 50 copies. Each comes with a certificate of authenticity and is shipped flat with the utmost care.
What Are Ukiyo-e?
Developed during the Edo period, these Japanese woodblock prints have a long tradition and require a team of artists to produce. Most feature famous people, such as samurai or kabuki actors, or famous landscapes, like the 53 Stations of the Tōkaidō. An artist draws the image, a sculptor painstakingly carves that as a series of wooden boards (one for each color of ink used), and a printer uses those boards to create a layered print matching the original art. The result is a remarkable woodblock print in full color, heaped with the charm and character of a period piece.
- An amazing battle scene between Red and a Snorlax under an ominous moon interpreted by artist Hitoshi Ariga
- An homage to the style and artistic triumphs of Yoshitoshi Tsukioka’s Gojo Bridge
- Carved and printed by hand using traditional Japanese techniques and master artisans
- Limited edition of 50 copies from UNSODO 12 Woodblocks
- Printed on handmade paper by Makoto Nakayama with carvings by Yusuke Sekioka
- Main image 7 inches by 15 inches
- Unframed print ships in durable packaging
- Pokémon Center Original
- Country Of Origin: Made in Japan
- Materials: Japanese paper, pigment for woodblock (emulsion paint)
- Item Dimensions: 15.5 x 20 inches