Vermilion City from Pokémon Red and Pokémon Blue is presented as a classic Japanese ukiyo-e landscape with a variety of Pokémon living and playing in it, including Slowpoke, Pikachu, Meowth, Charizard, Lapras, Gyarados, and many more. The Pokémon are all enjoying the port and a street along the water, as travelers in a landscape from Hiroshige Utagawa’s 53 Stations of the Tōkaidō. More than two dozen Pokémon in all appear on the land and on the water—not to mention on the rooftops and in the houses. A complete original and delightful re-invention of a classic Japanese art form, updated and made new with a Kanto twist!
Using all the traditional printing arts of ukiyo-e, this woodblock print on traditional handmade paper is limited to an edition of 50 copies. Each comes with a certificate of authenticity and is shipped flat with the utmost care.
What Are Ukiyo-e?
Developed during the Edo period, these Japanese woodblock prints have a long tradition and require a team of artists to produce. Most feature famous people, such as samurai or kabuki actors, or famous landscapes, like the 53 Stations of the Tōkaidō. An artist draws the image, a sculptor painstakingly carves that as a series of wooden boards (one for each color of ink used), and a printer uses those boards to create a layered print matching the original art. The result is a remarkable woodblock print in full color, heaped with the charm and character of a period piece.
- An amazing mixture of Edo-period scenery with famous Pokémon from the Kanto region combined by artist Hitoshi Ariga
- An homage to the style and artistic triumphs of Hiroshige Utagawa’s 53 Stations of the Tōkaidō
- Carved and printed by hand using traditional Japanese techniques and master artisans
- Limited edition of 50 copies from UNSODO 17 Woodblocks
- Printed on Echizen Kizuki housho paper by Ichimura with carvings by Kitamura
- Main image 9 1/2 inches by 14 inches
- Unframed print ships in durable packaging
- Pokémon Center Original
- Country Of Origin: Made in Japan
- Materials: Japanese paper, pigment for woodblock (emulsion paint)
- Item Dimensions: 15.5 x 20 inches